Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lola Dupre's strange photomontage portraits

Lola Dupre's strange photomontage portraits: " 1326 5105488836 A3C3086Aaf B


 1185 5105488894 Eef3E1C1F0 B


Scotland-based artist Lola Dupre cuts up photographs and collages the snips into mind-bendingly weird and witty deformed portraits. She is a master of scissors, glue, and surrealism. Hi-Fructose posted an interview with Dupre and includes shots of the cutting room floor too. From Hi-Fructose:



 1381 5104892611 Feb65A566A B

First an image for manipulation has to be selected and sometimes this is what takes most of my time. Going into a project I often have a very fixed idea of what I want to work with: finding the image with the right background, foreground, resolution, and content can take all day sometimes! I usually search Google images for sources, or alternatively I scan images that myself or my contacts have.


When I have selected the right image to use, I crop and print this at various sizes and edits on various sizes of paper. Working like this, the only limitation is the resolution of the source image. I am currently planning to do some giant paste up art works on buildings and walls, and this requires just the same formula but slightly tweaked...


Originally I would cut up perhaps two or three images or work from a small handful of duplicates. But with time my technique has developed and now I need more! This is just technique development - like how a young painter might begin work with just a few colours of poster paints and one large brush, and years later they are working with multiple colours and honed techniques to blend and create with all the experiences they have learned through practice and exploring their medium.


For me, I take a certain delight in the ready-made colour schemes and the detail of the images I work from.



Lola Dupre interview





"

8 comments:

  1. this sorta looks like modern day... jeez the name drops my mind.. ughhhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. o god that first one scared me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are great,in a weird way..

    ReplyDelete
  4. man, that has to take some skill, i couldn't do something like that without digital tools

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, thanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha.... pretty disturbing

    ReplyDelete